This is blog post number 2,000 here, since I switched to WordPress seven years ago!
I think it’s a great time to announce a major change I plan to make this spring. I’m calling for a select group of Christian writers to join with me in making this the first mentored/edited/directed-topic group blog I know of on the Christian Internet.
Here’s what I’m hoping to do. While I will continue to write here as usual, I want to shift my attention to helping other Christian writers get equipped and established for blogging and other writing. I plan to follow the model of the book True Reason, where my co-editor and I set an overall topic, found and/or assigned writers for subtopics, and edited their work into one volume. Here I’d like to do the same, except in the form of online blog series.
The first topic I have in mind is the moral contribution Christianity has made throughout history. I’m looking for writers who will research and write about that and other topics to come.
I’m looking especially for writers who have something to say, but haven’t found a good place to say it yet; who can think and write well, but could use a platform. I’m looking for writers who are open to guidance in the form of editorial direction and oversight. As an editor I believe each writer’s work needs to be heard in his or her voice, yet each voice on this blog also needs to be high in writing quality. As with True Reason, I will work with writers to accomplish both of those goals.
All writers will blog using their real names.
I expect it will take about three months to do what’s necessary to take the blog in this new direction. I’m announcing it now because it fits well with post number 2,000, and also to give time to hear from writers who want to join in.
If you’re interested in joining the Thinking Christian blog team:
Please recognize this may take some time. I have a busy period of speaking and teaching coming up, so I do not expect to be able to respond to you before the end of January. Actual group blogging will not begin before March 1 at the very earliest, more likely a month or so later.
Send me a message including all of the following:
- Your name, email address, and country of residence (the more countries the better)
- A statement of your agreement with the Ratio Christi Statement of Faith. (In no way does this place you in any official or unofficial organizational relationship with Ratio Christi. I’ve selected that Statement of Faith for use here because, as a leader in Ratio Christi myself, I find it expresses the essentials well enough to use in other contexts like this one.)
- Your statement of why you are interested in being part of a mentored group blog, as described above
- If possible, a link or links to a writing sample. If you have nothing you can link to online, that’s fine, just say so and I’ll ask for it by email after you send me your initial contact.
- Based on past experience, I need your agreement of willingness to learn and use the (user-friendly) online collaboration platform I’ll set up for us; and where necessary, also to use Microsoft Word’s (or Apple Pages’) change-tracking features for collaborative editing.
- For my own sanity, I’d like you to indicate that you realize that I won’t be able to respond for a few weeks.
If all of that is there, I’ll take that as the first essential sign of your readiness to join this team. I’m looking forward to hearing from you!
If you have questions, please message me, and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible. That could take a while, too, depending on the question, but I’ll answer when I can.