My friend Eric Chabot gathered this information. Click links with caution.
Remember, this famous quote: — ‘Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.’–Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Unless you’ve been living on a desert island the last few weeks, you probably know that our brothers and sisters in Christ are getting butchered in Iraq. Hence, there is a mass genocide going on, the attempt to wipe out an entire religious population. And as Robert George says, “we have a moral obligation to stop them.”
The terrorist group ISIS, which has already taken over a large part of Syria has spread into Iraq, raising the meaning of “persecution” to new levels for our era. Also, there is a group called the Yazdis who practice Zoroastrianism. They are fleeing or their lives as well. The ISIS group has been butchering them as well because they think they are ‘devil worshipers.’ The photos have been horrific.
So what can a Christian do about such genocide? Well, let me make some suggestions:
- Be informed. Read the news and keep up with what is going on there.
- Well yes, you can pray. Sacrifice more time and prayer. Get off Facebook and your phone and be an intercessor. Pray that God will intervene in this situation. Pray for the protection of the innocent children and the end of ICIS. They are growing and they have no conscience and no value for human life. Does this not move your heart to cry out to God?
- But praying is not enough! Remember, there are sins of commission and sins of omission. So, here are some concrete steps of action:
You can sign the petition at Jay Sekulow’s website:
The unthinkable is happening in the Middle East. The Islamic State, also known as ISIS, has rolled through Iraq, and they are brutal beyond imagining. They’ve given Iraqi Christians an ultimatum: “Convert, leave, or die.” They’ve marked Christian homes and businesses like the Nazis marked Jewish homes.
Christians are fleeing for their lives by the tens of thousands. They’ve sought refuge in Kurdistan; but so far the Obama Administration has refused to arm the Kurds, and humanitarian aid is very slow to arrive. There’s no excuse for delay. After the Holocaust, the world promised “never again.” Never again would it stand aside and watch genocide occur. Tell the Obama Administration to take action. Arm our allies, the Kurds. Flood humanitarian aid to besieged Christians. We cannot allow genocide in Iraq. Please note that you can sign this petition here:
See also the other petition that Robert George has put forward.
What else you can do?
- Support ministries like Samaritan’s Purse and others that are providing the practical needs of the refugees that have fled for their lives.
- Pray that our government finds a way to cut off the funding for ISIS. They have gained a mass amount of wealth in a short amount of time.
- Pray the U.S government and the international community takes the necessary steps of action to stop this genocide (this includes Christians and the Yazdis).
- Write your local congressman and put pressure on him as well
- Spread the word to others.