- Deep Social Change: Four Essential Priorities for 2009
- Deep Social Change: Four Priorities (Condensed Reprise)
- Mary Poplin on “Jesus and the University”
You wouldn’t expect a talk on Jesus and the University to start in Calcutta, India, but that’s the context in which Mary Poplin presented her thoughts on this topic. Poplin was at one time Dean of the School of Educational Studies at Claremont Graduate University in southern California, and continues today working on social justice issues related to education. She took a lengthy sabbatical in Calcutta to work with Mother Teresa there, and relays part of that story in this talk. How does that tie in to the university? I’ll let you discover that for yourself. I think you’ll find it well worthwhile.
What especially caught my attention in this message was how well it illustrates four strategic principles I’ve been emphasizing for deep social change:
- Discover God afresh
- Call on him through extraordinary prayer
- Expand our acts of sacrificial love
- Increase our intellectual engagement
P.S. If you haven’t subscribed to the Veritas Media podcast yet, what are you waiting for?